Time is flying and the time has almost come to head back-to-school. While you might have all your supplies ready to go, it’s also time to get geared up for some non-supply related tasks!
Today we’ve teamed up with Transitions Lenses to get you ready for another school year through our ten healthy tips to get your kids ready for back-to-school. Oh, and even if you aren’t a parent, we’ve designed our tips so that you can hopefully use most of these ideas for yourself as well. Enjoy!
1. Prepare a lunch menu. Okay, maybe an actual menu might be excessive, but having anything remotely resembling a plan is definitely not! Plan out a few healthy go to lunch ideas for the new school year and pay special attention to foods that won’t spoil during the day.
2. Health check ups. General health, dental, and vision check-ups are a great way to start out the new school year healthy-style… but this goes for all of us, not just the kids!
3. Stay active. School time = busy time, but set aside time every week (if not daily) for the kid’s favorite exercise activities. Luckily, kids aren’t as jaded as (some of) us about exercise and quite frankly, they should enjoy it while they can! 😉
4. Hygiene! Remind the kiddos about proper hygiene- everything from proper teeth brushing, flossing, and hand washing. Kids often forget these things… and seemingly so when their hands are the dirtiest and stickiest (eww!).
5. Healthy snacks. Have some healthy snacks available for after school or school activities. Healthy snacks are a great way to expose kids to new flavors and ingredients early on in life, so they won’t be too scared of them later on. But hey, I still hate bell peppers- oh well, you can’t win ’em all.
6. Keep kids connected by not being connected 24/7. Allow kids ample time with friends and family outside of school and away from computers or cell phones. Show them early on that they need not be glued to their cell phones waiting for that next text message from their BFF when their BFF is like, standing two feet away.
7. Get outside. “But, I really need to be on the computer to work on this project…” Limit time spent indoors on the computer, on the phone, in front of the TV, or playing video games. A good substitute is going outside to play… and what kid doesn’t love that?
8. If the shoe doesn’t fit… Growing up = make sure all the clothes and shoes still properly fit! Also make sure that things like glasses (and prescriptions) are still a good fit and have been properly adjusted.
9. Keep rested. Make sure kids (and yourself) get enough rest so that your immunity is doing top notch when those inevitable back-t0-school bugs start going around.
10. Take up interesting hobbies. Expose your children to new ideas and new activities that will keep them busy and help them learn to think critically, be creative, and use their awesome brain power!
Are your kids gearing up for the new school year, or perhaps you’re gearing up for a new school year/semester yourself! In both cases (and even if none apply) we at Brixton Street wish you a happy, healthy new school year. Oh, and don’t forget to share your own healthy back-to-school tips in the comments below!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Transitions Lenses blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.